Monday, August 9, 2010

Accidents

I was out shopping today with Baby T. I thought I saw a friend of mine leaving the store. I was walking towards her when I saw something terrible happen. She was carrying her 2 month old daughter in her car seat. She took a step and the baby slid out of the seat and hit the concrete. I was 15 feet away but I heard her hit the ground.

My friend had unstrapped her baby to tend to her while shopping. She placed her back in the seat but didn't strap her in because she was sleeping. She didn't want to wake her up. She forgot she wasn't strapped in when she left. She tilted the seat just a little bit while walking and her baby fell.

It was terrifying. The entire time all I could think about is whether her baby was okay. She is so small and delicate. There were half a dozen women there but nobody else knew what to do. How is that possible? If anyone should know what to do when a child is injured it should be mothers. The baby looked okay - even pupils, didn't lose consciousness, no vomiting, acting normal, no cuts, etc. We called an ambulance anyway.

It made me realize how quickly things can change. Children are so innocent and fragile. Sometimes it's hard to remember to think for two people (you + baby) instead of one. A simple slip of the mind can end in tragedy. So hug your babies tight and remember the little things.

No comments:

Post a Comment