Sunday, July 11, 2010

CD: GroVia vs. GroBaby

Let me preface this review by saying that the only other hybrid diaper I've tried was GDiapers and I hated those things with a passion.

The GroBaby (GB) and GroVia (GV) shells are pretty much the same. I only have the GB shells so that's what is pictured. I compared the two kinds in store. The main difference is that the GV shells have a tab to tuck the hook under for laundry purposes. These shells are unlike most others in that there is a strip of fabric on the front to attach the hook to instead of a strip of loop. I find it easier to get a good fit because of this. I think the GV and GB hook is stickier than most and the tabs seem to actually stay down in the wash so I don't end up with a diaper chain. With the old GB shells the front fabric strip (the red part) is a little narrower but not enough to really impact use. Since they're so similar I would opt for the GB shells if you can still find them on sale.


The interior of both the GB and GV shells is lined with mesh. This allows the shells to work with the disposable inserts which I'll talk about later.



The big difference is between the inserts. Below are two inserts shown side by side. The GV on the left and GB on the right. As you can tell, the GV inserts are significantly larger. They also have a waterproof backing which prevents the shell from getting soiled. Both have elastic around the middle but the GB elastic just kind of gathers the fabric a little while the GV elastic actually provides gussets.

The GVs seem to be more absorbent than the GB inserts. I'm not sure what each is made out of but they are definitely made from different material. With the GB inserts I have to use a doubler but I don't have to with the GV ones. Ultimately, the GV inserts are far superior. It's tempting to go with the GB's since they're on sale but don't do it. You'll regret it. With the GB inserts I pretty much need a new cover at every change. I've never had the cover gets soiled using the GV inserts.

If you've never used either system, the inserts just snap right into the shells. You can see the snaps on the back of the inserts in the right picture.


Here are the inserts side by side in two GB shells. You can see how the GV inserts really fills the shell while the GB one is a little small. The GV inserts almost look like they're too big for the shell. When you actually go to put the shell on you realize they fit perfectly - even with the shell snapped down on the small setting.


Now onto the disposable GV inserts. I haven't tried the GB inserts so I won't comment on those. These things are impressive! They have gussets which help contain even the largest, runniest messes your mind can imagine. Trust me, Baby T really tested these out and they passed with flying colors. Each insert has 2 pieces of tape on the back to attach it to the shell. If you try to use the inserts with a different shell they will either leave a sticky residue where the tape attaches or bunch up because you don't use the tape. Both the GB and GV shells are lined with mesh so they work with the inserts. The inserts are truly one size. I tried them on a friends toddler and my 2 month old without any issues.



To sum it up, get some shells (doesn't matter which) and some GV inserts and I think you'll be pretty darn happy. As far as sizing goes, Baby T is around 13 lbs. There are three size settings - small (snapped down all the way), medium, and large (unsnapped). He fits comfortably in the medium setting. He's on the medium setting on his BumGenius too. I think they will probably fit an 8-10 lb newborn but not much smaller than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment