Thursday, June 24, 2010

I love my doctor [--------------------] much

He isn't dismissive but he isn't paranoid either. Plus, he's cool with my hippie ways. He told me I'm doing everything right and that Thomas is perfect. That's just what I needed to hear. We chatted about the vaccination schedule that I picked. He thinks it's a good middle ground but that I should keep an open mind about it (if he doesn't do well he thinks I should try the original delayed vacs schedule but if he does well I might want to try the traditional schedule). We also talked about baby led weaning. My doctor had never heard of it before but he was really interested. He said it sounds like a great choice for some families. He even admitted he wished he'd heard of it with his last kid. See? I told you he's awesome.

I found out some very upsetting news at my appointment though. When Thomas was born the hospital gave him the Hepatitis B vaccine that I specifically told them NOT to give him. I even filled out paperwork to that effect. Still, when I was unconscious after they cut my baby out of me they did it anyway. They originally told me they don't even give the Hep B vaccine until the 2nd day of life. So why did they give it to my baby just minutes after he was born? I can't help but think it is because I opted out of it and that was their only opportunity.

In the grand scheme of things it's not a huge deal. He wasn't injured or scarred for life. I get that. But he was all alone when he was born. I wasn't there to comfort him. I trusted that they would do right by him and care for him but they violated that trust. I couldn't have made my wishes more clear. They didn't even tell C what they were doing (which is part of the reason I feel it may have been intentional).

You just... you don't mess with someones baby without their permission. Know what I mean? You just don't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment